Upplay: a Qt-based UPnP audio Control Point
upplay is a desktop UPnP audio Control Point for Linux/Unix, MS Windows, and Mac OS. It began its existence as a companion to the Upmpdcli renderer, but it has become an ugly but nice, lightweight but capable, control point in its own right.
upplay does not play music, it controls a Media Renderer which may be running on the same host or anywhere else.
upplay was started with code from the Sayonara local player, which saved me a lot of time. There is not much in common between them any more, except for quite many lines of user interface code.
upplay is open-source, mostly free (I ask for a small contribution for the Windows installer), and licensed under the GPL. It is written in C++ and uses the libupnpp library.
Of course, Upplay lets you browse any UPnP Content Directory on the local network and add music from there (click titles, or use the right-click menu for directory adds). In addition, it has the following specific features:
- Plays gapless if the renderer supports it, using either the UPnP SetNextTransportURI action or the OpenHome Playlist service, as available.
- In AVT mode, remembers the last playlist.
- Can move your current playlist to another renderer.
- Supports multiple browsing tabs
- Lets you search the server, and the local listing.
- Can control the connections between multiple Songcast Senders and Receivers (multiroom synchronized playing).
- And washes dishes. See the manual.
What's the point ? upplay might be found to be esthetically challenged. However, if you are using a Unix desktop, it is better than nothing, and even under Windows, you may come to like it...
Binary or source packages for Ubuntu, Mint..., Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Arch Linux, Gentoo, MS Windows. See the downloads page, for more information. There is also a short doc about building from source.
- Version 1.6.2. Fix playlist drag and drop.
- Version 1.6.1. New compact tabbed mode for running on small screens (See the picture on a 480x320 Raspberry Pi touchscreen).
- Version 1.4.10.
- New MacOS port for version 1.4.5
- Version 1.4.4. Direct buttons for switching between radio and playlist.
- libupnpp, upmpdcli, sc2mpd, upplay and related projects have moved to framagit.org. I am grateful to opensourceprojects.eu for providing a haven after leaving github, but they have fallen behind the times, and the Gitlab instance which Framagit runs will be much nicer to use.
- Version 1.4.2. Small fixes esp. for running with webengine on macosx.
- Version 1.4.1. New display modes in the directory section, with more use of the album covers, either inside the lists or as main presentation element.
- Version 1.3.9. Fixes the Webengine version for recent QT releases (tested with Qt 5.13). The Webkit version is still the default and behaves better.
- Version 1.3.6. Properly process multiple albumArtURI attributes.
- Version 1.3.5. Fixes the problem where the content directory browser header area would overlay the first content lines when the location line was folded.
- Version 1.3.3. Minuscule source changes mostly dealing with building and documentation.
- Version 1.3.1. Restoring the browsing state, other small improvements.
- Version 1.2.13. Small improvements.
- Version 1.2.0. Source switching for OpenHome renderers, control of their Radio service, and a new tool for managing Songcast connections.
- MS Windows port. This is still a bit experimental, see the details.
- Version 0.10.0: support pure OpenHome renderers with no UPnP AV services at all, like BubbleUPnP Server. This needs at least libupnpp1 (libupnpp 0.10.0).
Please use the Disqus comments for praise, insults, or for tips which may help others. Use the issue issue tracker for problem reports and enhancement suggestions. Use E-mail if you run into trouble, I'll be glad to help: jf at dockes dot org.comments powered by Disqus