Release notes for Recoll 1.26.x
Installing over an older version
1.20-26 indexes are fully backward compatible. Installing 1.26 over an 1.19 index is possible, but there have been small changes in the way compound words (e.g. email addresses) are indexed, so it will be best to reset the index. Still, in a pinch, 1.26 search can mostly use an 1.19 index.
New index format with Xapian 1.4: the default on-disk format of Xapian 1.4 (Glass) has changed to improve the performance of phrase searches. This had the infortunate consequence of rendering the Recoll snippets generation method excessively slow except for very small indexes. In consequence, new indexes created by Recoll 1.24/26 using Xapian 1.4 have a different format and store the document texts inside the index. No specific action is required from the user, except if you have and old index and want to use the new format (nicer snippets, faster phrase searches), in which case you should delete the old index (see next).
Always reset the index if you do not know by which version it
was created (e.g.: you're not sure it's at least 1.18). The
best method is to quit all Recoll programs and delete the
index directory (
rm -rf ~/.recoll/xapiandb), then start
recollindex -z will do the same in most, but not all, cases. It's better to use the rm method, which will also ensure that no debris from older releases remain (e.g.: old stemming files which are not used any more).
On Windows, the index is located by default in C:/Users/[me]/AppData/Local/Recoll/xapiandb.
Case/diacritics sensitivity is off by default. It can be turned on only by editing recoll.conf ( see the manual). If you do so, you must then reset the index.
Changes in Recoll 1.26
- GUI: improved highlighting and snippets extraction, with proper processing of phrases. Allow displaying snippets for successive documents in the snippet window, link to result table hovering.
- Slightly improve processing of Hangul characters.
- GUI Index configuration: the skippedPaths editor now uses a file picker to create entries, and lets you edit them to possibly add wildcards.
- GUI: added option to suppress all beeps.
- GUI: snippets: add context menu to switch page/relevance sort.
- GUI: add Previous/Next buttons to the preview Window.
- GUI: improved search completer.
- GUI: add preference to turn off desktop notifications.
- Windows: aspell support.
- Windows: Outlook mail archive .pst file indexing.
- Windows: allow scheduling indexing operations by interfacing with the Windows task scheduler
- GUI: add preference to limit search history length or disable it.
- GUI: improved query language help tooltip.
Minor releases at a glance
- GUI: fix wrong default for the search history size preference. The default of 0 disabled the search history.
- GUI: actually remember when disabling the temp file warning from the dialog.