Recoll is a desktop full-text search tool.
Recoll finds documents based on their contents as well as their file names.
- Versions are available for Linux, MS Windows and Mac OS X.
- It can search most document formats. You may need external applications for text extraction.
- It can reach any storage place: files, archive members, email attachments, transparently handling decompression.
- One click will open the document inside a native editor or display an even quicker text preview.
- A WEB front-end with preview and download features can replace or supplement the GUI for remote use.
- The software is free, open source, and licensed under the GPL.
- Detailed features and application requirements for supported document types.
Recoll will index an MS-Word document stored as an attachment to an e-mail message inside a Thunderbird folder archived in a Zip file (and more...). It will also help you search for it with a friendly and powerful interface, and let you open a copy of a PDF at the right page with two clicks. There is little that will remain hidden on your disk.
Recoll is based on the very capable Xapian search engine library, for which it provides a powerful text extraction layer and a complete, yet easy to use, Qt graphical interface.
XAPIAN 1.4 RECOLL GUI FREEZES: Xapian 1.4 needs Recoll 1.23.6 or newer. Details and affected Linux distributions
Recoll has extensive documentation. If you run into a problem, or want to propose improvements, you are welcome to use the mailing list or problem tracker. Even if you are already using Recoll, maybe there are still a few useful search tricks that you don't know about. A quick look at the search tips might prove useful ! Also the Faqs and Howtos section, and some contributed result list formats.
Recoll could not exist without a rich free software environment. See the credits. Thanks !
- Recoll now has a Gnome Shell Search Provider. See the downloads page.
- Version 1.26.3. Multiple small improvements. See the release notes.
- Version 1.25.23. Fixes a nasty bug in the mbox parser. Needed if you want to index gmail exports. Other small fixes. See the release notes.
- New nmh Python recoll front-end from Krullen Van De Trap.
- Version 1.25.4. Full switch to Python3, new completer tool. See the release notes.
- Version 1.24.5. Fixes an ennoying bug with recollindex -z resetting the index format to the one compatible with Xapian 1.2 and problematic with Xapian 1.4.
- Version 1.24.0 is out. It changes the snippet generation method to adapt to the new default index format in Xapian 1.4. See the release notes.
- Version 1.23.6 is released to provide a workaround to the Xapian 1.4 snippets generation issue. It will create indexes with the previous 'Chert' index format by default. If your index is in 'Glass' format and you are experiencing the UI freezes, you will need to delete it, by actually running rm -rf on the directory, (typically rm -rf ~/.recoll/xapiandb) before restarting the indexing.
- Release 1.23.5 has a few changes and fixes and supports the (still experimental) new version of the Web browser extension. Also, I split the Debian/Ubuntu packages into command-line/GUI parts (recollcmd/recollgui), with a top recoll packages which depends on both, and this causes conflicts during the upgrade. For upgrading, either first delete the recoll package, then upgrade and reinstall recoll, or fix the issues with apt -f upgrade
- Finalizing the move to the new site, I am closing the old BitBucket project. The existing BitBucket issues have been archived.
- The source code repository and issue
tracker are moving to a
- While working on a Recoll-Mutt interface I discovered incidentally that the Recoll Webui Web interface works quite well with the links web browser inside a terminal window. This appears to be an interesting solution for people looking for a search interface usable in a non-GUI environment.
- Thanks to some of its users, Recoll now has filters to index and retrieve Lotus Notes messages (some implementation notes from an early user), and there is also now a Web browser interface for querying your Recoll indexes.
- A new user-contributed script for those who use real-time indexing on laptops: stop or start indexing according to AC power status. See the details on the Wiki.
- We now have a Chinese user manual: Recoll现在有中文手册咯： Recoll中文手册，HTML