Release notes for Recoll 1.21.x
Installing over an older version: 1.19
1.20 and 1.21 indexes are fully compatible. Installing 1.21 over an 1.19 index is possible, but there have been small changes in the way compound words (e.g. email addresses) are indexed, so it will be best to reset the index. Still, in a pinch, 1.21 search can mostly use an 1.19 index.
Always reset the index if you do not know by which version it
was created (you're not sure it's at least 1.18). The best method
is to quit all Recoll programs and delete the index directory
rm -rf ~/.recoll/xapiandb), then start
recollindex -z will do the same in most, but not all, cases. It's better to use the rm method, which will also ensure that no debris from older releases remain (e.g.: old stemming files which are not used any more).
Case/diacritics sensitivity is off by default. It can be turned on only by editing recoll.conf ( see the manual). If you do so, you must then reset the index.
Changes in Recoll 1.21.0
- Allow saving queries to files and reloading them later. Available both for simple and advanced queries, and based on XML files.
- A Bison-based query parser replaces the old regexp-based one and allows parenthized sub-expressions and easier future expansions.
- The GUI gets a "close to system tray" function.
- Avoid retrying to index previously indexed files if nothing seems to have changed in the filters.
- Improve indexing speed by always using vfork() for spawning external commands.
- The pdf filter gains the capability to run OCR (tesseract) on image-only files. This happens automatically on image-only pdfs if tesseract is available.
- Improved checks about when we should try to uncompress stuff. Will eliminate some of the most dreadful cases of recollindex having an impact on system performance.
- Warn if non-existent paths are listed in the configuration file (help with typos).
- Adjust background color for webkit-based elements (result list and snippets window) according to desktop setup.
- Listing the results with the KIO slave is now performed with incremental updates. Bumped max entries to 10000.
- Sidestep bus error in qt exit code by calling _exit() instead of exit() in GUI exit code.
- Avoid dependance of librecoll.so on libX11.
- Hungarian translation.
- New version of the kio slave for KDE5.
- Very minor other fixes.
- Fixes a nasty bug affecting all previous 1.21 versions: the query language parser processed incorrectly multiple mime type or category specifications, with missing results as a consequence.
- Show confirmation dialog when opening a temporary file (to warn the user about possible lost edits). The dialog has a 'disable' checkbox.
- Fixed bug which would crash the GUI when clicking an Open link after modifying the indexing configuration through the GUI tool.
- Fix not showing results with paths over 1000 characters.
- Fix Show subdocs: too many docs were shown in some cases, and the Preview button in the dialog was inactive.
- Web cache: fixed the GUI config to not cap the size at 1 GB. added append function to test driver/maintenance utility.
- Added GUI dialog to perform partial indexing.
- Avanced search in "Any Clause" mode: directory filter would not filter but add an ORed clause.
- Fix bogus syntax errors about parentheses around phrases.
- Fixed a few boundary conditions detected by VC++
- Misc other small fixes, see commit log.
- Force memory usage limits on external filters.
- GUI: add Ctrl+l as a shortcut to return focus to the search entry (compat with web browsers).
- result list popup allows saving results from web cache to files.
- The web history indexer also processes non-html files (e.g.: pdfs).